Western Canadian Mulching Ltd. (WCM) is a specialized mulching contractor providing quality mulching services for pipeline, seismic, power line, lease, road and access clearing since 2005. We are looking for a qualified, experienced, full time HSE Advisor to provide safety program leadership, guidance and development to continually improve an environment of safety and productivity. Based in Fort St. John, BC the HSE Advisor will be responsible for all operations in Western Canada.
Role and Responsibilities of Position:
• Develop, plan and communicate HSE goals, objectives, programs, standards and procedures for all WCM operations.
• Identify and advise management of regulatory matters and safety performance.
• Identify and implement HSE policies and procedures, requirements and expectations.
• Identify and support worker training and certification, including new hire orientation and ongoing employee safety training.
• Monitor and maintain documentation of records of training, certification and competency.
• Develop, maintain & coordinate company-wide safety and leadership training programs. (Includes conducting all safety meetings with operations staff and management, updating and maintaining the HSE Manual, reviewing and organizing all documentation and identifying and addressing all safety
• Conduct risk assessments for various operational changes and safety concerns, and behavior Observations.
• Complete and facilitate the proper completion of all required safety documentation, job hazard analysis and risk matrix hazard identification tools; manage ISNetworld, Avetta and ComplyWorks database.
• Complete regular site inspections to check if policies, practices and procedures are being properly implemented and followed. Monitor the correction process of any deficiencies and maintain records and documentation accordingly.
• Review and approve contractor HSE programs and requirements, to ensure they are in compliance with WCM HSE policies, procedures and programs.
• Ensure all PPE and equipment is safe through regular inspections and proper maintenance schedules.
• Provide regular Safety and Loss Prevention reporting
• Controlling and conducting Internal Quality Audits in accordance with agreed schedule.
• Ensuring arrangements and organizing agenda for audits conducted by external organizations
• Be the main contact of all HS related questions and issues.
• Be a liaison with all outside regulatory bodies (WCB, OH&S, Environmental Agencies)
• Timely and credible incident and accident investigation and claims management with a focus on root cause and prevention measures.
• Provide leadership and coordination at accident sites
• Manage incident and accident reporting system.
• Must maintain administrative contact between AB and BC offices and forward documentation as required.
• May be required to assist with general office duties.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
• Health and Safety diploma, NCSO or equivalent.
• Minimum 3 - 5 year experience in a safety management role, preferably in a related industry
• Must be proficient in the use of all Microsoft Office, ISNetworld, Avetta and ComplyWorks applications.
• Knowledge of federal, provincial (AB, BC and SK) and local HSE regulations is required
• Class 5 Driver license with acceptable record
• Completed courses must include Site inspection, First Aid, OHS Trainer, H2S Alive, Incident & Accident reporting, Emergency Response Training, WHMIS and TDG.
• Require excellent oral and written communication skills as well as excellent organizational skills.
• Must be self-motivated.
• Require the ability to multitask and work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment.
• Must possess strong leadership skills with a consistent focus,
• Require strong presentation skills.
• Must have exceptional analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Must have excellent time management skills, attention to detail and a capacity to prioritize by assessing a situation to determine urgency.